Coach Company Hire
Free place and Food for driver
At Kittywake we offer groups a traditional, wide beam barge with wheelchair lift as a versatile floating venue at the heart of Wigan heritage, Wigan Pier.
Enjoy a relaxed, leisurely Cruise while your on board historian peaks your interest with artefacts and local knowledge for your informative experience, all guests will be well looked after by our friendly, professional Crew. Sailing on Elleswake offers a unique perspective on the local area.
Day or night, panoramic windows provide an alternative view of the geography and wildlife as well as the heritage of the Industrial Revolution and environs of Wigan, Leigh and the Douglas Valley all from the comfort of the spacious cabin. Varied food options along with a fully licenced well stocked bar add to the enjoyment of the experience.
The below cruises are available on the following days:
Monday to Friday (Friday Cruises must end before 5pm)
Sundays and public holidays
Elleswake 2 Hour Cruise (up to 20 guests) - £350
Extra Passengers (after 20) - £7 per person
Extra Hours - £80 per hour
Cruises include Local Historian at no extra cost!
What's included in the hire price?
• Elleswake Cruise - Wheelchair Lift, Toilets, Bar serving Alcoholic, Hot & Soft Drinks, Panoramic Windows/Views
Wheelchair lift is available for use by any guest who prefers this method of boarding.
Wallgate Fish and Chips (Dine in or Take out)
• Executive Buffet In A Box | £7 per person.
For an enhanced experience, Kittywake’s historian offers the perfect opportunity for guests to learn about not only local heritage, canals and transport but also the goods, employment, artwork and everyday lives of the people associated with the canals and surrounding industries. The on-board talk can be delivered formally or informally to offer ad-hoc information and answer questions, all information is delivered at an age appropriate level and there are artefacts and props to see, discuss and handle.
For those requiring more detail a variety of curriculum topics can be accommodated e.g.:
• History & Geography
• Three C’s (Cotton, Coal & Canal) Events beyond living memory.
• Development of Canals as a progression from utilization of rivers, life on the Cut (canal) in the 1700s onwards.
• Effects of the industrial revolution on the landscape, transport, villages & Cities. George Orwell (The road to Wigan Pier)
• Barge-wear painting and music.
Other Experiences available on board
- Interactive Lock-working Experience
Pub Stop at Crooke Hall Inn
Risk Assesments & Insurance Details etc.
Risk assessments & Insurance details available on request